Friday 25 January 2013

Metallica

No, not the band, the first 8 letters of the word; metallic. I was just trying to be clever. Metallic, chrome, silver & gold are every where right now. I love this trend, not that it's exactly new, but I have been seeing it in different forms lately. Yesterday I saw a girl wearing something similar to the image below.

This choker-style necklace, called a collar necklace, is also a trending accessory, and combined with the chrome is probably one of my favourite pieces at the moment. Collar necklaces are a great way to accessorize with a simple high necked t-shirt or sweater, and can instantly change your entire look. For example, I took the image below from whowhatwear.com to show you the effect of this trend:


My friend came back from Canada recently where she had her nails done in chrome. Personally, I would only wear this look for a big event and not as an everyday colour, however it still is an innovative approach to nail art. There are certain polish brands like China Glaze and Essie that have attempted to bottle chrome, however to achieve this look below, you have to have your nails done at a professional salon. (They use chrome stickers on your nails...but don't worry...my friend's lasted for at least 2 weeks!)

Lastly, I wanted to share my own accessories that fall into this Metallica genre; my mother's gold Chanel bag! Obviously this is not my everyday bag (I wish), but for special diners and functions I go to she lets me borrow it, such as last year's prom (the first picture) and my friend's 18th birthday event. Any metallic bag, silver or gold, is a great way to complement an LBD or a simple all-black outfit. 


(sorry about the bad quality, I can't find my camera!)

You have to remember not to have too much going on with the rest of your outfit so these key chrome pieces can stand out. I suggest wearing all black, or at least solid colors; really try to avoid patterned pieces, otherwise you will look mismatched and over-styled. In this case, you should (literally) follow in Olivia Palermo's footsteps as she keeps it simple by pairing chrome oxfords with a classy black and white ensemble. 



xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment